To privateermonger is to indirectly terrorize a person or category of people by giving others permission to directly assault or otherwise terrorize them. The permission can explicit or implicit, and the assaults may be physical or sexual or otherwise. This creates a hostile environment where persons from the targeted category has strong reason to feel unsafe, as they know that other people are empowered to attack them at their own discretion.
The term “privateer” refers to how some countries used to give pirates legal permission, a “letter of marque”, to raid merchant ships from enemy countries.
One nasty way of trying to protect oneself from privateermongering is to go down the path of “please attack her instead of me”: Arguing that the attacks are justified as long as they are directed at someone other than oneself.
Privateermongering and foci of categorism
Examples of applying privateermongering (of the regular kind) to a particular foci of categorism can include:
- Homophobia: The “gay panic defense”, constructing straight men as blameless and justified in beating up gay men.
- Homophobia & Kinkophobia: Teaching kids that they are not at fault for bullying the children who's parents are homosexual or sadomasochist or whatever, instead putting the blame on the parents for “causing” the bullying by not being mainstream.
- Misogyny & Whorephobia: Constructing men and boys as incapable of containing their lust around “certain kinds of women” or even around women in general”.
- Racism & Misandry]]: Constructing discrimination, bullying and outright attacks against men of certain skin-colors or against men in general as if it was a valid “preemptive self-defense” based on some idea about said category being violent or otherwise evil.
Redirection Privateermongering and foci of categorism
Examples of applying redirection privateermongering to a particular foci of categorism can include:
- Homophobia: Using some version of the “I'm not gay” defense when people are attacking sexual minorities, trying to protect oneself and one's own minority group by distancing it from homosexuality.
- Kinkophobia: Using some version of the “I'm a good homosexual, not a pervert like those people” defense when people are attacking sexual minorities.
- Whorephobia: Using some version of the “I'm not the one wearing a short skirt” defense or the “I'm a virgin, not like that slut over there – please rape her instead” defense.