A person or category of people being unfairly blamed for certain problems.
Scapegoating as a facet of categorism
Something is a facet of categorism when it on some level and based on a categorization of people is an expression of prejudice, bigotry, discrimination, or some combination thereof. Scapegoating is a matter of prejudice, usually accompanied by bigotry: A distorted view of a category of people, justifying hatred against the human beings associated with that category.
Interactions with other facets and abstractions
It is likely to intersect with facets such as:
- Reduction: Reducing the target to a role as source of misery.
- Stigmatization: It's rather hard to make someone the scapegoat without stigmatizing them...
- Unchecked Aversion: When you have reason to despise something, it may feel good to blame it on a category of people.
As well as with abstractions such as:
- Loosely defined abyss-category: "They" are behind everything bad...
Applying Scapegoating to a foci of categorism
- Antisemitism: The idea that Jews secretly caused the black plague... or Germany's loss in World War I.