What does it mean to respect a certain person or to respect a certain category of people?
There are at least three different kinds of respect...
- 1.) Neutral respect: Treating people with basic human decency.
- 2.) Positive respect: Admiring good skills and traits.
- 3.) Negative respect: Bowing down to jerks & bullies as a way of improving the odds that they won't attack you.
When it comes to categories of people, we should also clarify whether the respect is...
- A.) Directed towards the actual human beings who are included in the category, or
- B.) Directed towards the category itself, perhaps at the expense of the actual human beings